I am a true child of the 80s. With 3 older sisters who were becoming teenagers in the late 80s, I have a lot of fond pop-culture influences and memories in my life at an early age. I remember having living room sleepovers with my sisters, staying up all night watching John Hughes movies regularly, with The Breakfast Club on repeat. My 2 Dads, Who’s The Boss, or The Facts of Life, anyone?
I see you, John Cusack! And I’ve got your $2, right here…
Can we also talk about how amazing action movies were in the 80s? BADASS action films like Big Trouble in Little China, Red Dawn, and Roadhouse are definitely on rotation in this household.
Because of my nostalgia for the 80s, I will always be a fan of 80s inspired art, dress, music, and film. I LOVE that shows like Stranger Things are back in style and the fact that I stumbled upon this Rubik’s cube mural in the streets of SF. I have also been listening to a lot of CCFX lately as well, which is very much influenced by The Cure. Even my Smiths-obsessed brother in law approves!
Emily’s 80s Favorites:
- John Hughes classics like The Breakfast Club, 16 Candles, Ferris Bueller, and Pretty in Pink
- New Wave bands Joy Division, New Order, Depeche Mode, The Cure
- Kooky movies such as Overboard, Mannequin, and Girls Just Wanna Have Fun
- Sequins, bright colored patterns, pointy toe pumps, and gaudy earrings
- PATRICK SWAYZE ANYTHING! THE BRAT PACK!
- Camping movies and TV shows that made camping (or summer camp) look SO cool and fun, like Meatballs, The Great Outdoors, and Summer Rental
- Other classics such as Adventures in Babysitting, Summer School, The Goonies, Heathers, Back to the Future, Footloose, The Thing, Beetlejuice, AND MANY MOARRRR!
Man, do I love the 80s ❤